Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)

Article: 7695 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: grobson@netcom.com (Gary D. Robson)
Subject: Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 22:55:11 GMT
Sender: grobson@netcom22.netcom.com

Mark McCullough (adept@dax.cs.wisc.edu) wrote:
: Assign wouldn't work anyways.  Assign only works at the DOS level.
: What, did you think you were installing MS Windows?  This is a new OS,
: so it has to load a new kernel, and move aside the existing kernel.
: Since DOS is not loaded, of course a DOS command won't work.

Of course I'm aware that I'm loading an OS.  No need to be condescending.
Are you aware of the fact that an installer doesn't have to run under the
same operating environment as the program or operating system it's
installing?  Isn't IBM aware of the fact that they're dealing with a wide
variety of hardware? What's the added cost of either putting a 5-1/4"
diskette in the box or giving you a procedure for creating a 5-1/4" boot
diskette?

If they had said "if your A: drive is 5-1/4", do this...",
I would have
been happy.  Having them ignore the issue and force me to tear open my
computer isn't a reasonable solution.

--
 |   Internet: grobson@netcom.com | "If it ain't broke, fix it anyway. |

Parent Parent Parent Parent gone