Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)

Article: 7699 of alt.hackers
From: mikelea@access5.digex.net (Michael Lea)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)
Date: 23 Apr 1995 08:51:16 -0400
Sender: mikelea@access.digex.net

In article <grobsonD7EqBz.8Dn@netcom.com>,
Gary D. Robson <grobson@netcom.com> wrote:

>If they had said "if your A: drive is 5-1/4", do this...",
I would have
>been happy.  Having them ignore the issue and force me to tear open my
>computer isn't a reasonable solution.

As a "hacker", you shy away from tearing open your machine?  hmm....

ObHack:  The lone 286 sitting on our network at work?  A woman was
bugging us for a machine on her desk, so I went to the "computer storage
room"  Among about 10 partially disassembled XT's, I found a 286
motherboard.  I scavanged a harddrive (the hardest part, really), a
powersupply, some old simms from before I upgraded my personal computer
at home, a disk controller, a video card, a keyboard (hard to find an AT
keyboard...), a monitor (found an EGA!), and a floppy drive and threw it
all into an XT case.  The case still has the original 5 1/4 floppy drive
that takes up two drive bays (not hooked up cuz the disk controller
didn't want to recognize it).  It all is still working!  (except for the
CMOS battery, oh well, leave it turned on)
	--mikelea

--
All of life is		     //
		  aMAZE.  //