Re: First time - this better work

Article: 8855 of alt.hackers
From: cr25@pmms.cam.ac.uk
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: First time - this better work
Date: 15 Oct 1995 13:38:59 GMT

Sean Logan writes:

>  So, find a public site like this, and telnet to it at port 119.
>Not a very nice interface if you're used to tin, but it works.  You can
>also have tin connect there for you, I forget how tho, read the man pages.

I'm not a tin user but most newsreaders

setenv NNTPSERVER not.very.secure.provider

will do the trick. Of course telnet is great for finding out whether
they'll let
you in or not..

OBHACK:
  I've been watching the debate about which newsreaders are more or less
difficult to post to this group with. Here's what I did. Long ago I noted with
wrath that XRN takes an unbelievable 3 Meg to read news. I only have 8 Meg
so this really irritates - can't leave the newsreader running while doing
something
else or it gets SLOW. So before finding alt.hackers I invented a simple tk
program called dogsbody which reads news and does most other text things for
me; needless to say its posting method is a little crude, it just gives you
a plausible
set of headers to begin with, leaves you to edit, and then sends EVERYTHING
down
the line, the only change being \r\n instead of \n. No dot code, nothing.
  Tried to post here ... astonishment ... can't be that easy ??? ... what went
right??? ...

All the best

       C.J.R.

gone gone

Child Child Child Child Child Child Child

Back to index