Re: Need Help With Phone Pranksters

Article: 7412 of alt.hackers
From: chandler@fiat.gslis.utexas.edu (chandler howell)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Need Help With Phone Pranksters
Date: 18 Feb 1995 13:56:50 GMT

Frank Cusack Jr. (fcusack@psu.edu) wrote:
> In article <3i36p0$nj5@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,
> chandler@fiat.gslis.utexas.edu (chandler howell) wrote:

> > ObAnti-HackerHack:
> > The OWNER of a machine that I adminstrate has the nasty habit
of hacking
> > around in people's accounts as superuser, and since I can't just
deny him
> > access (it's his machine, after all), I wrote SHELL SCRIPTS (rofl)
> > for who, w, and ps, so they wouldn't show me logged in, then changed
> > system time so the date/time stamp would match the rest of the system
> > files and copied them, then reset the time so I could watch him
and see
> > what sort of scummy stuff he was doing--reading people's mail
and stuff
> > like that.

> That is a pretty shitty thing for someone to do. I have 2 questions:

> 1) what did you do with the information you got?

Informed all of the users who kept (definite past tense here) their mail
on the machine what was going on.

> 2) why didn't you just 'touch' the shell scripts to set the date/time
stamp?
I didn't know about 'touch' at the time, and was in a hurry.  The whole
system time gig took maybe thirty seconds, less time than finding out
how to touch the right way.  After all, it was a hack <gr>.

ObGottaHaveAHackToExplainMyLastAdmittedlyBadHack:
In a previous job (life?) the office I worked for was pretty
technologically backwards--only three computers and one print server were
networked, and those went to a wide-carriage dot matrix, a credit card
printer, and a ticket printer.  They also had a laser printer, but it was
attached to a non-network computer.  They told me I couldn't network that
computer, so I took a bunch of old printer cabling and an A-B box and
rigged it up one night so that I could control if the input came from my
computer or the one the laser was attached to, then set up my workstation
as an rprinter, so whenever I needed to print, as soon as the laser
printer finished, I'd just throw the switch and voila!, the queue would
dump whenever I threw the switch.  The only problem was that I kept
forgetting to switch it back, but I quit before I got annoyed enough to
solved that problem.

laterman,
chandlerman
--
---
-I speak solely for myself, because no one else would let me speak for them-

Parent Parent Parent

Child Child Child

Back to index