Re: Novell -> Unix Mount

Article: 8370 of alt.hackers
From: mbast@xs4all.nl (Mark-Jan Bastian)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Novell -> Unix Mount
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 20:24:39 +0100

In article <3viqns$1tv@babylon5.glenqcy.glenayre.com>,
davef@PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_DOMAIN_FILE (Dave Frascone) wrote:

>: >I won't belabor the point. So, does anyone know how to mount a novell
>: >volume on a Unix Machine.
>:>What software is needed on the novell side,
>: >to get TCP/IP.

On the Netware servers console:

First, you need to load your ethernet drivers (*.LAN) twice, once with the
frame=Ethernet_802.3 parameter, and once (with antoher name=...) with a
frame=Ethernet_II. The last frame type is for the IP-packets. The IPX
packets get an 802.3-frame, so both frametypes are used on the same cable!

Then you load the TCP/IP protocol stack TCPIP.NLM with the FORWARD=YES
parameter (for TCP/IP routing between boards on your netware server).

After that you need to bind IP to the Ethernet_II drivers with BIND IP TO
<cardname> <ADDRESS=w.x.y.z.>. With the "LOAD TCPCON"
command you can
configure the router. IP-numbers are already assigned in the BIND-lines.
Check the novell TCP/IP manuals for the rest.

>Don't forget, you can also buy IPX for solaris... and Caldera for Linux...

Ah - And SPX then ? That's the TCP and network filesytem of Netware, isn't it ?

ObLowButgetWWWServerHack:
On my previous school, there wasn't a (working...) UNIX system... We did
have 3 novell netware servers instead, scattered over over couple of thin
ethernet (RG-58) cables (*). Well, I set up the TCP/IP part, then I
discovered the free FTPD.NLM (wow!) at ftp.utelscin.el.utwente.nl.
Installed it, walked to the supervisor's desk (I wasn't), and asked her to
create a user anonymous, without a password, but with access to the
SYS:PUB directory. Then loading my workstations' ethernet drivers also
with ethernet_II, running WINPKT 0x60, starting windows, configuring
TCPMAN at 0x60 too, assign a static IP-address (damn, I need
ARP/RARP/BOOTP working), and starting netscape. URL:
ftp://145.90.32.250/sys/pub/index.htm. Whow - it works! And ftpd.nlm has a
feature that I didn't find in another novell-util: Listing all the mounted
devices in the ftp-root dir. Handy when someone has mounted a CD-ROM and
keeps the volume name secret!

(*) The ARCNET/RG-62 subnets is still a problem - anyone a hint to make
Netware route IPXPKT (=IP in IPX)? JNOS against JNOS (packetradio: PI5VLS)
is running well with IPXPKT-IPXPKT drivers.

Hope this helps,
Mark-Jan

PS: Our schools network wasn't linked to the internet, we even hadn't an
internet-account for our school then. But we had registered a B-domain:
145.90.x.x, which I used to configure the network. I'm still hoping to
ping my servers from the internet over a couple of time...

--
Mark-Jan mbast@xs4all.nl http://www.xs4all.nl/~mbast/

Parent gone Parent

Back to index