Re: Novell -> Unix Mount

Article: 8360 of alt.hackers
From: gregc@fullfeed.com (Greg Corey)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Novell -> Unix Mount
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 1995 18:32:19 GMT

ayman@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Crust) wrote:

>I won't belabor the point. So, does anyone know how to mount a novell
>volume on a Unix Machine. What software is needed on the novell side,
>to get TCP/IP. I am not very familiar with Novell. I have only
>installed it once. Any help or manuals anyone can give me is greatly
>appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Novell versions prior to 4.x require a package called Lan Workplace for DOS
to get TCP/IP running and recognized on the DOS machine side.  I have no
idea what is required to make the volume visible on the Unix side.

Versions 4.x and later include TCP/IP in their functionality.  Check the
Novell manuals.

You MIGHT check with NCR.  They had (three or four years ago) a copy of
Novell Netware that ran on thier Unix boxes and made the Unix volumes look
like Netware volumes.  It seemed pretty slick at the time, anyway.  Their
NCR towers were based on the 68000 series processor, and I don't know much
more than that (was involved only peripherally).

Sigh, and now that I've posted...

Now that, of course, led to the OBnotebookHACK:
So I get this notebook... I knew already that it took standard 3.5" low
profile hard drives and standard 3.5" floppy drives... not to mention
standard 30 pin SIMMS... so I'm feeling pretty happy until I discover that
the hard drive (850mb) I plan to put into this notebook doesn't have that
stupid little 3-pin power plug on the side... all it's got is a standard
large 4-pin, and the notebook doesn't have any of those... so I did what any
good hacker would do, snipped off the leads going to the 3-pin power plug,
took a "Y" power splitter and hacked off the large end, soldered
the 5v lead
to the 5v pair, the 12v lead to the 12v pair, and the ground lead to the 4
ground wires.  Wrapped electrical tape around the solder points (I used
solder for durability but had no room for anything else) and put it all
together.  Now, not only does it work, but I have an additional standard
power-out to hook up ANOTHER hard drive if I ever need to in order to
transfer data and the like.  Of course, I have NO idea if the notebook
transformer will handle it, but hey, what's life without a few risks.

 -- Greg Corey         | All opinions are my own, no warranty made or
gregc@msn.fullfeed.com | implied.  Send complaints to god@heaven.org

gone

Child Child

Back to index