Re: "Hackers", the movie (*RANT!*)

Article: 8647 of alt.hackers
From: kender@esu.edu (Daniel Garcia)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: "Hackers", the movie  (*RANT!*)
Date: 20 Sep 1995 12:08:20 -0400

Slaving away in a dark room, sciri@redbox.newhackcity.net (Digital Grindage)
produced:
[ hackers stuff deleted ]

Haven't seen the movie yet, so i'll reserve judgement...

> [ using above cylindar 1025 with linux with no problems... ]
>Any ideas why it works even though the BIOS has no idea anything above 1024
>exists?

I could be mistaken here, and possible am, so take this with a hefty grain
of salt, but I believe that Linux doesn't go through the BIOS for it's
disk IO, rather it talks to the controllers directly.  (This is why X
is a pain to configure, Linux doesn't deal with the bios, so the X
servers need to talk to the graphics cards directly ):.

BTW - I know you said not to, but i have to ask - howdja get a 386dx80?
I have a 386dx33 that gets a whole 2.5 bogoMIPS, and since it's my network
router (and runs email, web server, ftp server, possibly a mud, etc... :)
I'd like to up the performance anyway I can (already bumped up the
memory :).

Hmmm, no I need an...
ObFreeOPticalJukeboxHack:

Over the summer, I worked with optical jukeboxes as part of my job.  One,
was a jukebox from pinnacle micro that kep jamming on on us, didn't
give a good impression.  The other was a jukebox from digital that was
rock solid.  Well - the summer ended, but my work hasn't, so I asked them
if I could take the jukebox home with me to continue doing work for
them (the pinnacle that is, if i even asked for the DEC, I would have
been fried on the spot :).  They said what the hell, they were planning
on sending it back, but if by some stroke of luck I could get it working, then
cool.

Now, this jukebox had been sitting on a wheeled platform, to make
moving it around easier.  While looking at it, I realized that when
the jukebox sat on this platform, it leaned to one side, just a little
bit.  So, when the robot arm assumed it was horizontally level, it
wasn't lined up right with the internal drive, and as such couldn't
mount/unmount platters.  Took the jukebox off the platform, and it's
performed flawlessly ever since :)

I know, not the greatest hack, but my memory sucks.  I'm going to
have to start posting them as I do them, rather than waiting for a
good reason (though, the Hack it'self is a good enough reason, no? :).

--
  /Daniel Garcia/Soon to be PhD Student/Virtual Environments /kender@esu.edu /
 /Linux  Hacker/C Programmer for Hire /#include <disclaimer>/The
| It doesn't matter where you go in life, or what you do...                | /
|    or what you have, but who you have beside you.  -- seen on a mud title|/

Parent Parent Parent Parent

Child

Back to index