Re: OBHack...

Article: 7685 of alt.hackers
From: halo@news-server.engin.umich.edu (Johnny Yuma)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: OBHack...
Date: 19 Apr 1995 22:14:24 GMT

Alan  T Shutko (ats4@clarion.cec.wustl.edu) wrote:
: It sorta sounds like it was one of those "soft modems".... a
DSP with
: software to dowload into the modem to make it go.  And they never
: bothered to write a driver for dos.  Annoying things.  Besides the
: fact it won't work in any reasonable OS, the implementations I have
: seen have been annoying... like a separate module for fax or
: modem... have to switch manually....

I'd bet that is how the modem works. Hm.  I'll have to take some more time
and play with it. :)

: ObHack:

: I'm on a dynamically allocated PPP link....  Since I fancy myself cool
: and run Linux, I like to run all the standard network services... ftp,
: SMTP, http, etc.  However, the dynamic allocation messes things up, to
: the extent that whenever I dial the modem, I have to run a script
: which will sed in the new address in about ten different config files,
: even update the /etc/hosts so some programs will work.  Then kill and
: restart a couple daemons, because you can't tell sendmail to reread
: it's cf.

ObHackSortOf:
Depending on what type of server you are dialing into, you can sometimes
request an IP.  I've managed to set mine up so I get the same IP 99% of the
time on the local dialup.  In the pppd command line, add an ip so it looks
like...

pppd connect /dev/modem 127.0.0.1: etc

<Obviously replace the 127.0.0.1 with something, and the : is
importaint.>

Really not a hack, but I had two wisdom teeth pulled this morning, I have a
note from my Dr. that I don't have to post a good hack this time. :)

Johnny
--
Everyone should know of all information that others have deemed unfit for for
public knowledge. -Author Unknown | GAT/CS -d+ H s++:++ g+ p2+ au- a-- w+++ v-

Parent Parent Parent

Back to index