Re: hrm..

Article: 7652 of alt.hackers
From: bpheintz@bu.edu (Bradley Heintz)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: hrm..
Date: 14 Apr 1995 00:29:23 GMT

Johnny Yuma (halo@news-server.engin.umich.edu) wrote:

: Is it just me, or is the signal:noise ratio getting out of balance?

Yeah, yeah.  Welcome to the net.  Feh.

I've been gone for a while.  Have the %#*%&^$&#*% AOLer's found a
way to
post here yet?

: ObHack: Stop'd by my old school today to pick up some papers, and found 2 of
: the computers in the library to be non-functioning.  The first was a 386/25
: which someone had put a password on the BIOS, and over time, everyone who
: knew it had either forgotten it, or left.  The librarian wanted to get the
: old moster back in use, so we had to figure out a way around the password.
: My first attempt involved shorting the + side of the CMOS battery to the
: case.  Unfortunately, that didn't work.  In the process of putting the case
: back on the computer, I had to unplug the keyboard.  I decided that I would
: take a few guesses at the password and then leave (I was in a bit of a
: hurry).  As I booted the computer, up came the error message...

: Keyboard error! Press F1 to enter setup...

: Sure enough, after re-connecting the keyboard, and pressing F1, I was thrown
: into the BIOS setup where I could change/disable the password.  Not much of
: a hack I guess, but a lucky hack at that!

: Johnny

Hot damn, Bubba!  Wish I'd thought of that!  My dad had a PC he'd taken
home from work, and wanted me to install MS Office on it (yeah, he's
kind of a TechnoPeasant, but he admits it freely).  Same problem:  BIOS
password.  Date on BIOS battery:  1991.

ObHack:  Disconnect BIOS battery, grab some beers, shoot some pool, come
back.  Reconnect battery.  Boot.  Run SETUP.  "C:\>"

- Brad
--
Send flames for Brad to bpheintz@sunflower.bu.edu
"Crispy-coated!?!  But at what cost!"  - Greg Rhodes

Parent

Back to index