hrm..

Article: 7605 of alt.hackers
From: halo@news-server.engin.umich.edu (Johnny Yuma)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: hrm..
Date: 6 Apr 1995 05:54:32 GMT

Is it just me, or is the signal:noise ratio getting out of balance?

ObHack: Stop'd by my old school today to pick up some papers, and found 2 of
the computers in the library to be non-functioning.  The first was a 386/25
which someone had put a password on the BIOS, and over time, everyone who
knew it had either forgotten it, or left.  The librarian wanted to get the
old moster back in use, so we had to figure out a way around the password.
My first attempt involved shorting the + side of the CMOS battery to the
case.  Unfortunately, that didn't work.  In the process of putting the case
back on the computer, I had to unplug the keyboard.  I decided that I would
take a few guesses at the password and then leave (I was in a bit of a
hurry).  As I booted the computer, up came the error message...

Keyboard error! Press F1 to enter setup...

Sure enough, after re-connecting the keyboard, and pressing F1, I was thrown
into the BIOS setup where I could change/disable the password.  Not much of
a hack I guess, but a lucky hack at that!

Johnny
--
Everyone should know of all information that others have deemed unfit for for
public knowledge. -Author Unknown | GAT/CS -d+ H s++:++ g+ p2+ au- a-- w+++ v-

Child

Back to index