Support this website
February 23 2021
I list websites for playing Chess online. Also, MaraDNS 3.5.0018 was
released a couple of months ago.
There are a number of places where one can play free online Chess or Chess
variants. I will only list places which are free to play and support
- https://lichess.org/ Geared towards normal Chess, but it has a few 8x8
variants. The site is fully free and open source, and includes a
full featured opening explorer.
- https://lishogi.org/ Like Lichess, but for Shogi. No Shogi variant
- https://lidraughts.org/ While they do not support Chess, this site is
like Lichess, but for a number of Checkers variants.
- https://greenchess.net/ This website is not open source,
but is free to play. It only supports variants of “normal” modern
western Chess, but it has a number of variants, including ones which
do not use a square board.
- https://brainking.com/ Correspondence games; a number of Chess variants
are supported (Embassy Chess, Grand Chess, Chinese Chess, etc.). Not
open source, but free to play up to 20 games at once. Note that
the web design is dated looking, and the text includes a lot of SEO links
for online gambling sites.
- http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/ Not open source, but a server
which has been around for a long time which supports a number of
Chess variants and other games. Games are played via email and use
ASCII graphics (I suggest owning a real board). The text, like Brainking,
has a lot of SEO links for online gaming; this might be needed to keep
the site online.
For anyone who wishes to play me online, my Lichess handle is
Goldrider. There currently
is a queue before I will start a new game; send me a message there
and I will gladly put you on my waiting list and play you once I
finish a game.
I released MaraDNS 3.5.0018 a couple of months ago. The main update
from 3.5.0017 is that this version is now using Ubuntu 20.04 instead
of CentOS 8 for testing and development.
Comments for blog entries can be seen in the