Re: Hacked AIX 3

Article: 8815 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: ricochet@netcom.com (Ricochet)
Subject: Re: Hacked AIX 3
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 04:19:05 GMT
Sender: ricochet@netcom.netcom.com

root (root@I_should_put_my_domain_in_etc_NNTP_INEWS_DOMAIN) wrote:
: Well, after quite some time trying to hack into my Uni's main computer (a
: RISC 6000 running AIX 3.2), I finally did it!. How? ok. Can you imagine this
: incompetent administrator who hasn't yet patched that old "rlogin -l
-froot ..."
: bug in AIX 3? Je, Je. Bottomline: Don't hesitate to try those GOLTS (Good Old
: Tricks), you might be amazed about how many lamer-Sysops are out-there...

<RANT>
Please post this garbage to alt.crackers, and keep it out of here.  That
goes for playing redbox tones into a pay phone.  That is not a hack, that
is reading a 15 year old document and doing what it says.  Please, if you
want to get free calls from a pay phone or break into systems maliciously
or otherwise, check out alt.2600 or alt.crackers or alt.hackers.malicious
or something.  You'll be much happier there.
</RANT>

OBhack:  Netcom automagically pipes any login to "netcom.com" to the
machine it believes has the least load at the time...  being an
untrusting soul, I wrote a Perl script to ping netcom1 through 23 and
reformat the results into a one-screen table from which I can choose a
machine that looks like it's got the best connection to where I currently
am.  Works great.

OB-future-hack:  Setting up tables of related machines (mirrors sites) to
choose the best machine from which to FTP new stuff, using a modified
version of the above script.
--

anthony "ric" kilna
ricochet@netcom.com