Re: //c hack

Article: 7582 of alt.hackers
From: nriley@roadrunner.tiac.net (Nicholas Riley)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: //c hack
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 1995 22:45:42 -0500

In article <ande0870-0204951843460001@dialup-3-213.gw.umn.edu>,
ande0870@gold.tc.umn.edu (Greg "Torgo" Anderson) wrote:

>   There was the ol' ProDOS disk that came with it, and it had the
>selection of games to play.  One of these was the infamous lemonaide stand
>game.  All the programs were (of course) written in BASIC.  A friend and I
>took a look-see at the code, and decided we'd make it so that we could
>start out with about $5,000, make it never rain, and always get a lot of
>business.

Yeah, "Lemonade".  I remember that quite well, especially the
"sunny day"
and "cloudy day" theme songs and those hideous graphics.

ObAppleIIHack: Well, um...aside from Lemonade and learning BASIC, Pascal
and 65C816 assembler, I don't remember much from my Apple //e/IIgs
period.  How about...

ObLameFloppyDriveHack: I stuck a floppy disk in my PowerBook 540 a few
days ago.  Eventually, I tried to eject it.  Didn't come out.  Considering
the disk wasn't too important, decided it could wait and so every time on
startup when the computer tried to eject the disk it would pretend like it
had, and about ten seconds later it would come back.  Tried to use a paper
clip in the eject hole, but for some reason it wouldn't press in, and I
couldn't be bothered to find out what the problem was.  Next day, I turned
on the computer.  The floppy drive started to make a very loud noise which
was a little less loud on battery than AC power, the screen was dark, and
the computer wouldn't start. I hadn't backed up my data and couldn't
afford to send it to Apple, opening the computer would void the warranty
and take an hour I didn't have, so I looked at the visible part of the
floppy drive for a few minutes with a knife and a paper clip.  The spring
on the ejection mechanism was caught on something; fixed that.  The dust
door was not aligned correctly, probably from my fiddling; fixed that.
But the ejection hole still seemed off, so I pulled the disk down with the
knife to expose the eject hole, and pushed down on what I thought was the
manual-ejection mechanism.  Click--bingo, stuck the paper clip in the
newly exposed hole, it ejected.  I actually think the floppy drive is
working better now.

<sabi
<72531.3633@compuserve.com>  <
> nriley@roadrunner.tiac.net < > Finger sabi@netcom.com for PGP key;
finger-  <
> sabinasata@eworld.com      < > prnt
D2A5 14F4 B181 4496  B832 904E A44F 209B<

Parent gone gone

Back to index