Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)

Article: 7611 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers,alt.folklore.computers
From: lcrocker@netcom.com (Lee Daniel Crocker)
Subject: Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 21:58:08 GMT
Sender: lcrocker@netcom4.netcom.com

>: >"see?  there are other people like me".  (You may wish
to capitalize
>: >when actually saying it though; bad grammar looks unprofessional.)
>: >
>: Also it should read: "See? There are other people like I."

>: I haven't done much lately, but I guess I can relate my experiences last
>: week installing a _very_ nice scanner at the NC Japan Center here.
>: Unfortunately, when I showed up to install the scanner, I find out that

>Are you mixing tenses?  If you use 'showed', you should use 'found'.
>Rule one of nitpicking:  make sure that *you're* correct, too :-)

And of course the original "other people like me" is completely
correct. "Other people like I" is one of those incorrect phrases
that pompous idiots use to sound like they know what they're
doing when they haven't a clue--much like "for you an I", which
also grates on the ear of any good writer. "Others such as I"
would be correct as well.

ObHack: Building PNG files before the spec was final using GZIP to
compress the data and then stripping the headers and adding the
rest of the data extracted with Piclab.

Yes, that ObHack is a sentence fragment. That's the accepted form
for them--so sue me.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker  /o)\ "When people are influenced by rulers,
lcrocker@netcom.com \(o/ they do what the rulers do, not what

Parent Parent Parent

Back to index