Re: First Test Posting...

Article: 7843 of alt.hackers
From: brain@msen.com (Jim Brain)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: First Test Posting...
Date: 19 May 1995 16:04:22 -0400
Sender: brain@garnet.msen.com

In article <3phkql$2n7@news1.wolfe.net>, chrome@Wolfe.NET (Chrome) wrote:
> Just a test post to see if my theory is right :)
>
> ObHack:  Back in the 'Old Days' wrote up an 80 column screen driver for
> Atari 8-bitters.  Lovely slow bitmapped screens.

Yeah, but I can better that:

ObHack:
80 column bitmap screen drivers on 64 usually use a 4*8 grid for
chars, and plot each on the bitmap.  Works fine, except when scrolling, when
one needs to move the screen all up by 8 lines.  Well, there are two
solutions on the Commodore 64:

Use Ram Expansion Unit to do memory moves.  Just stauff the 8k pixmap in REU at
1 byte/sec, and then pull it out 320 bytes higher in memory  Line move
in 16000 microseconds (.016 seconds).  Better than 16*8000 microseconds
for lda sta move of screen.  Wrote this, but can't take credit for thinking
of it first.

Use character sets.  Sure, a character set is only 256 chars, and there are
100 chars on a 64 screen, but you can flip char sets at any time, so...
maps screen to be   2abcdefghijkl...  THen, after 240 chars (6 lines), flip
to next char set.  Do this 5 times.   Now, scrolling requires moving only
the 1000 chars on the screen.  Plotting is harder, but not by much.
Very timing intensive, and must be very quick code.  Did this one too, but
can't take credit for it either.

Jim

> --
> | chrome@wolfe.net                                  My opinions are my
own |
> | http://www.wolfe.net/~chrome               Noone else seems to want
them |
Therapy<<  |
> |  ...don't ask me/I'm just improvising/my illusion of careless
flight...  |

--
Jim Brain, Embedded Systems Designer, Brain Innovations.
brain@msen.com

Parent

Back to index