Re: Car hack + Hack adhesives

Article: 7439 of alt.hackers
From: grossjoh@linus.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Kai Grossjohann)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Car hack + Hack adhesives
Date: 22 Feb 1995 20:00:31 GMT
To: chris@ec119.residence.gatech.edu (Chris Adams)

<chris@ec119.residence.gatech.edu> writes:

  Chris> ObHack: Hmmm, running Linux on a 386DX20 with one 40MB hard
  Chris> drive?  No, I guess that's just stupid.

Well, it gets a little more interesting with just 2MB RAM (well, I've
got a 386sx, too, and a Hercules card (which doesn't matter anyhow
since I doubt I can fit both the kernel and the X server into RAM)).
Lucky me, I had two floppy drives, so I could make 5.25" boot disks
and 3.5" install disks (just the A diskset).  I booted the machine
>from  the boot disks, did the (necessary) preliminary stuff of setting
up swap space and ran setup.  It would need about two hours per disk
(because of heavy swapping, of course! [*]).  Luckily, the A diskset
is just four disks, so including answering the questions the
installation took about twelve hours.

I even found a shell (smash) that's only 13K or so and loads into
memory fairly fast.  Who needs such luxury as wild cards or the cd
command?  (I missed that one, though, and went back to ash, 60K.)

ObHack:  Getting it to display a login prompt.	Seems like six virtual
consoles was too much, so I went down to two which means I can boot
the machine within 5 minutes or so.

ObUninteristingHackInProgress:	Finding out what I really need in the
kernel so I get more than 800K of free RAM after the kernel is loaded.

	\kai{note that I didn't say anything about USING Linux;-}
--
Life is hard and then you die.

Parent gone

Back to index