Web browser as (even more) general purpose TCP/IP client

Article: 7934 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: chmbt@zeus.bris.ac.uk (MB. Taylor)
Subject: Web browser as (even more) general purpose TCP/IP client
Sender: usenet@info.bris.ac.uk (Usenet news owner)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 19:28:41 GMT

Nothing to say, apart from my

ObHack:

I was leafing through /etc/services and trying out a few TCP/IP services,
and it occurred to me that you can get some useful stuff done by just
sending *anything* to the right port of some servers, and even more
by sending not very complicated things.  E.g. you can get the time
of day by telnetting to port 13 of a daytime server without any input.
Since the gopher protocol specifies sending an empty string as first
request to a gopher server, you can fool a web browser into getting the
time:
  gopher://time.nist.gov:13/0
13 is the daytime port, and the 0 tells the browser it's going to get a
text document back.

But you can adapt this to do more complicated things, e.g. finger
name@host.domain by by using the URL:
  gopher://host.domain:79/0name

or get a list of newsgroups from your NNTP server (multiple lines by
inserting %0d%0a in between):
  gopher://news.domain:119/0list%0d%0aquit

and so on.  You can even gopher to port 80 and speak HTTP to retrieve
an HTML document (I haven't tried this, but I suppose you could do it
to coax a gopher client to read documents off the WWW, though it
wouldn't pick up the hyperlinks of course).

I've put some examples at http://zeus.bris.ac.uk/~chmbt/webhack.html
If you visit, why not use the 'link' there which speaks SMTP to a
local server and sends me mail.

Not exactly essential stuff, but I thought it was neat.

| Mark Beauchamp Taylor  -  physicist trapped in a chemist's body.    |
| mark.taylor@bris.ac.uk    http://zeus.bris.ac.uk/~chmbt/index.html  |
| Department of Chemistry, University of Bristol, UK                  -------

Back to index