Re: ! A A*** ATTN: MASTER CRACKERS! EARN ETERNAL FAME ***

Article: 8932 of alt.hackers
From: hacker@ns.secis.com (Tommy Usher)
Newsgroups: alt.cracks,alt.binaries.wares.ibm-pc,alt.hackers
Subject: Re: ! A A*** ATTN: MASTER CRACKERS! EARN ETERNAL FAME ***
Date: 24 Oct 1995 13:27:30 GMT

In article <46er83$bf1@solutions.solon.com>,
Peter Seebach <seebs@solutions.solon.com> wrote:
>In article <46c8vs$s7a@blackice.winternet.com>,
>caMel <camel@winternet.com> wrote:
>>TRUE hackers will only hack the products AFTER they are
>>released for massive sale to the public -- not before  What's the
>>point of helping a company become hack-free?  Hackers like that are
>>only defeating their purpose in life.  I don't know of any hackers
>>that want to help a company release a hack-proof product (unless
>>they've sold their soul to the dark-side).
>
>The great thing about this is how *stupid* you look talking about
"true
>hackers" when you obviously mean crackers, who are wannabes of
the worst
>sort; they're trying so hard, and they aren't even aiming at the goal
>they think they are.

Yes, I read what he wrote, and it sort of gave me a "brain cramp."
Even
stranger is his reference to the "dark-side."  I mean, I *have*
heard the
term used, but in the exact opposite manner.

>It is trivially impossible to produce unbreakable security.  All you can
>do is produce security that's harder to break than to put up with.

This is true.  Granted, in most cases, those who crack are either too dumb,
or too lazy to do much more than exploit stupid mistakes made by their
victims.  For example, picking an easy password (like "secret")
rather than
something truly obscure (preferably two completely unrelated words, separated
by a punctuation mark, and randomly mixing upper and lower case).

>>Hackers didn't get to be hackers by being stupid and gullable. You'll
>>never know the names or even the existence of the best hackers, that's
>>why they're the best.
>
>Bullshit.  We know the names of the best hackers.  Dennis Ritchie.
>Rob Pike.  Eric Allman.  People who know more about computing than the
>top ten black-masked unknown EL!TEZ you so proudly talk about put
>together.

Exactly!  On the other hand, we do seem to occasionally find out about those
"EL!TEZ."  Of course, he would would just claim that they really
aren't that
great, else they would never have been caught.  Sort of a Catch-22.  They are
so great, he cannot really prove that they exist, because their hacks are so
clever, you cannot even tell that they happened.

>>Always in the very distant backgrounds, ready to
>>beat the last foolish MARKETED release.  Money or fame means nothing
>>to them. TRUE-HACKERS are "NOT FOR SALE". Money and fame
are base
>>(low-value) rewards.  Someday you too will learn this, Grasshopper.
>
>True hackers are, arguably, not for sale.  But they aren't wasting their
>time proving that they can break other people's toys; they're making
>things.

Good grief, I fear someone has tipped one of the wannabees from alt.2600 as
to how to post here.  This is not good....

>If you need a penis extension, go to a sex store.  Hacking isn't about
power,
>or fame, or being better than everyone else.  It's about understanding,
>creation, and making everyone else better.

Yes, a few of the crackers out there have stumbled over things like the
"Hacker's Ethic."  They somehow seem to miss several important
points, like
the idea that computers can improve the quality of life....

>And someday you, too, will get a life.

But it is unlikely he will ever be a true hacker.  Possible, but unlikely.

And now I need an...

ObHack: Currently I am trying to port (actually, more like completely
re-write) an unfinished project from Window 3.1 to Windows 95.  Hopefully,
it will be one of the first programs of its type available for this latest
kludge from Redmond.

--
| Tommy Usher  No Frills Software | Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology: |
| hacker@ns.secis.com             | There's always one more bug.             |

Parent gone gone

Back to index