Re: Hackers vs. Crackers (long reply)

Article: 8927 of alt.hackers
From: fknauss@qualcomm.com (Friedrich Knauss)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Hackers vs. Crackers (long reply)
Date: 23 Oct 1995 14:26:31 -0700

In article <46d06g$qiu@huron.eel.ufl.edu>, Jeff Mercer
<riffer@afn.org> wrote:
 [...]
>The other day I had to help someone get into her car, which she had locked
>her keys into. DOn't ask me how someone can leave their keys *in the
>ignition* and lock themselves out... *sigh*
>
>The solution? The only one available: break the window.

I don't see this as the only solution. Which is why I don't really see
it as a hack. Why? Because I was faced with the same situation (I still
don't know how I locked myself out with the keys in the ignition).
That led to this

ObHack:

Problem:  Keys in car. Motor running. Door locked.
Solution: Auto Club? Car's running. Break the window? Pricey.
	  Pick the Lock? Better, but I don't carry a pickset anymore.
	  However, I did need to get new windshield wipers soon, and they
	  were cheaper than a whole window. I took the blade out of the
	  passenger side, and removed the the metal guides. There are
	  two of these per blade, which is how many parts you need for
	  a lockpick. Unfortunately, it was a tad bit narrower than the
	  lock. By doubling one piece over in a very sharp V shape (about
	  1-2 degrees) and bending the ends at right angles I had a very
	  usable torque. A few minutes of scraping on the curb with the
	  other piece gave me what I hoped would be adequate rake. I
	  guessed right (or got lucky), and had the car open a minute later.
	  I put a strip of duct tape along the exposed wiper bracket
	  to protect the window, and went off on my merry way.

--
AUTHOR:     fritzz@qualcomm.com
DISCLAIMER: Any use of this product, in any manner whatsoever, will

Parent Parent Parent Parent

Back to index