Re: AOLers in alt.hackers

Article: 8465 of alt.hackers
From: gregc@msn.fullfeed.com (Greg Corey)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: AOLers in alt.hackers
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 00:07:14 GMT

adric@thelair.zynet.com (Pete M.) wrote:

>In article <weeded5$58@aol.com>,  <ism9@aol.com> wrote:
>>DATA
>>This hack was a bitch... actually, only the part where I had to find
a newsserver
>>that would take AOLers.  AOL released a Winsock, so I use dd a
Telnet client,
>>telnnetted to the proper port of athe newsserver, and whammo, !,
we who are despised
>>by all are now here.  But don't worry, most people on AOL don't even
have a cleue
>>wjathat USENET is.

>all fine and dandy.. we are so proud of you.. now if you could have only
>stated that as an ob_hack, meny of the rumors that all aolers are putzes
>would be dispelled.. <atleast prove there are a few>..

Actually, just a point as it goes by, the FAQ says you must have a mention
of a hack, which he did... the post.  While it isn't normally accepted as
such, given the difficulty of posting HERE by AOLers, we really have to
accept it as a hack (remember, no hack too small) even if he didn't label it
as such.  The FAQ doesn't actually say you have to LABEL your hack,
especially if it is the only discussion in your post, which it was.

Besides, I'm proud of the guy.  He's only the 2nd AOLer to ever get here as
far as I can tell, and the fact that he's trying indicates that he must like
what he sees here.  Now, we just have to try to convince the guy to get a
REAL internet account.  :)

Sigh, and so I posted.  Must be time for an

OBvirusHACK:

We've got a virus floating around Madison (I've seen two instances in the
last week alone) called Crazy Boot.  This PC virus is a boot sector virus
that moves the partition information into an area only it knows about...
causing the system to not show drive C: when booting from a floppy and this
virus can HIDE ITSELF when it detects a virus scanner searching memory (Yes,
it's an evil one!)... so if you boot from the infected hard drive, it can
stealth itself.  On top of that, it would give you an error if you tried to
read the partition table with the virus loaded and it was encrypted when the
virus was not loaded.  FORTUNATELY, the partition table data CAN be read if
you read it several times in a row.  I got the numbers, shut off the
machine, booted it back in DOS, used Norton's DISKEDIT to put the correct
partition info back in, booted again with the floppy (this time it
recognized the partition), did an FDISK /MBR (re-writes the master boot
record to the hard disk) to wipe off the virus and then did a SYS C: to
ensure that any other info it might have buried in the bootup files was
gone.  It worked, removed the virus.  Whoever wrote that virus was GOOD.  If
they get much better at writing viruses, PCs may never be safe.

 -- Greg Corey         | All opinions are my own, no warranty made or
gregc@msn.fullfeed.com | implied.  Send complaints to god@heaven.org

Parent Parent

Back to index