Re: Broken Light Bulb Base Removal Hack

Article: 7924 of alt.hackers
From: sebelt01@starbase.spd.louisville.edu (videogame)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Broken Light Bulb Base Removal Hack
Date: 1 Jun 1995 01:11:37 GMT

  Johnny Mnemonic Wierdness explained:  I went to see JM with a friend, and
we went to Denny's afterwords for a little debugging..  He thought the
"spinning blocks and pushing on things" to hack them was a little
corny, and
to be honest, so did I, at first.  But now that I think about it, it was
TOTALLY hacker-like.  Every hacker likes to show off h(is,er) prowess with a
few tricks; and his "VR hacking" could simply be a fancy way
of accessing
complex macros (like decryption algorithms, translators, mathematical
procedures, etc..)  Alot more sexy than typing "pascrack -f -l pass.lib
-d9"
on some glass tty, that's for sure...

  I liked it when he accessed the fax machine's buffer, too.  Reminds me of
an Ob<ethical>Hack:

  High School was boring, so I'd often volunteer to make photocopies for my
teachers.  Now, we had the cheapest copiers, but one in particular had the
ability to remember the last page copied.  (i.e. photocopy after the page
was gone)  Sometimes when I went to make copies, I would print out the last
page of the previous job.  Usually I just found garbage (busy work), but
once I found a copy of a major test I would be taking the next day.  And I
tore it up and threw it away without reading through it.  And that was the
hack..  :)

  BTW, I am looking for a co-op for next semester.  I'm specifically
interested in working with and learning about networks, network protocols,
internet protocols, and anything related (networked games, servers, the web,
devices on the net, etc).  If you're looking for a co-op/trainee/loyal
employee/etc, or you know someone else who is, CONTACT ME!  If your company
emphasizes team projects and bold ideas, I'm waiting to hear from you!

-- Shawn

Parent Parent

Child

Back to index