First Post

Article: 7862 of alt.hackers
From: kietzman@leland.Stanford.EDU (John William Kietzman)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: First Post
Date: 23 May 1995 22:56:33 -0700

The traditional phrase is "let's see if this worked...".

ObHack:

For a controls project class, we were required to make any sensors and
actuators we wished to use more or less from scratch.  For instance, we
couldn't buy a solenoid, we had to _make_ a solenoid.  Rather than using
the traditional "you hold the spool of wire, I'll turn the coil form with
a drill" method, we went with Plan B.

Plan B in this case meant buying a spool of magnet wire of approximately
the right size and then spending ten or fifteen minutes fishing out the
other end of the coil of wire, stripping both ends of the wire, and
voila, instant coil, no drilling required.

[Sorry, it saved lots of trouble and frustration at the time.]

John
kietzman@leland.stanford.edu

Back to index