Re: Grabbing all your news (was: Re: Hacker FAQ...)

Article: 7747 of alt.hackers
From: djimenez@rose.uthscsa.edu (Daniel Angel Jimenez)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Grabbing all your news (was: Re: Hacker FAQ...)
Date: 1 May 1995 11:17:47 -0500

In article <1995Apr30.043328@csv.warwick.ac.uk>,
Nicolai E.M. Plum <maufr@csv.warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

>In article <3nmuvn$70@case.cyberspace.com>, wsantee@cyberspace.com
(Wes Santee) writes:

>|> ObThinkingAboutItHack:
>|>
>|> My local provider provides static IP and hostnames, but doesn't
>|> provide local newfeeds right now.  I'm too used to reading news on a
>|> local spool and not over NNTP so I figure I might write a program to
>|> pull my spool via standard NNTP and sort them out into a local-spool
>|> directory heirarchy.  Has something like this already been done for
>|> UNIX boxes?  Please don't say UUCP... :)
>
>Well, if you're on a Linux box there's 'slurp' and company, available
>on ftp.demon.co.uk in the net software for using demon's dialup
>service. I'm not sure if there's source for that if you wish to run it
>elsewhere.

There's also "suck," IMHO easier to use and smaller.  It works
on every
computer I've tried it on, from SunOS 4.1.x *and* Solaris 2.x to Linux
to IRIX 5.x, etc.  It grabs stuff from newsgroups in a "sucknewsrc"
from
an open NNTP server to your box in a form feedable to rnews.  From there,
you can do whatever you want with it, e.g., compress it and send it over
a slow modem somewhere.

ObHack:
My hacked version of "suck."  I hacked it so that it would take
articles
>from  the remote site and feed them directly (using IHAVE commands) to my
local news server.  This way, I don't use any extra disk space.  Also,
I have my local news server check for duplicate message-id's before getting
the remote article in it's entirety (I have several places I get news from;
maybe a couple fewer after some of the admins there read this post :-)
--
Daniel Jimenez                     djimenez@rose.uthscsa.edu
"I've so much music in my head" -- Maurice Ravel, shortly before

Parent Parent Parent Parent

Back to index