Re: What is the problem with Finger?

Article: 7567 of alt.hackers
From: tms@tis.com (Tom Swiss)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: What is the problem with Finger?
Date: 31 Mar 1995 16:20:39 GMT

ayman@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Ayman M. El-Khashab) writes:

>: So, I'll bite. Does anyone know what the security hole is in finger? I
>: can understand not wanting to have anyone be able to finger in, but why
>: wouldn't the admins what me to finger out?
>
>It isn't really a hole per se, but you can often finger 0@machine.com and
>it lists all of the users.
>Most places use the login name as the password until the user logs in
>for the first time. So now the person has a login name and a pretty
>good chance at a password.

     Sysadmins setting up login ids as passwords need to be shot.
>By not allowing finger, nobody can see all of the users on the system.

     Remember that the question was about fingering _out_. Removing the
finger command won't stop users from fingering people on other machies if
telnet is still around.  (See /etc/services.)

     The answer isn't to remove a valuable service, but to configure it
appropriately.

=Tom Swiss/tms@tis.com======"Born to die."=======Keep your laws
off my brain!==
    "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?" -
    Nick Lowe
Machine-independent, adj:
      Doesn't run on any existing machine.

Parent Parent