Re: What is the problem with Finger?

Article: 7549 of alt.hackers
From: ba044@cq-pan.cqu.edu.au (Silvio Cesare)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: What is the problem with Finger?
Date: 27 Mar 1995 06:28:30 GMT

Patrick Killourhy (killourh@nunki.usc.edu) wrote:
>marlowe (marlowe@io.com) wrote:

>: : Finger was removed from the system by the administrators as a possible
>: : security hole.

>No _outgoing_ finger? Your sysad's an asshole. I've never had to try (for

yeah.. try our uni aswell..

>lack of asshole sysadmins to deal with), but I can't imagine you'd have
>any trouble ftp'ing and compiling your own finger client... it's unlikely

i remeber writing some c code that imitated a local finger.. a few days
later, the files owner had mysteriously changed to root ;-)

>that they're using packet filtering to deny services, not at a .edu site...

>from  what i hear, they do that to us monitoring port 6778/6777 (irc)

obhack:

not much, just wanted to say our uni does the same with finger but.. today
when i tried starting the car at uni, i just heard a clicking sound upon
turning the key.. obviously the battery right? well, knowing my car i
assumed the terminals, so i found lying next to my car a piece of wood and
proceeded to bang the crap out of the terminals and.. presto.. started up
my car and drove home :)

--
Silvio

Parent Parent Parent