Re: Power out hack

Article: 7539 of alt.hackers
From: russotto@wanda.pond.com (Matthew Russotto)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Power out hack
Date: 25 Mar 1995 23:00:54 -0500

In article <3kvfru$5od@fullfeed.msn.fullfeed.com>,
Greg Corey <gregc@fullfeed.com> wrote:

}In article <3ksgc3$oun@wanda.pond.com> on 23 Mar 1995 13:58:11 -0500,
}russotto@wanda.pond.com (Matthew Russotto) wrote:

}>In article <3kr23v$bgg@fullfeed.msn.fullfeed.com>,
}>Greg Corey <gregc@fullfeed.com> wrote:
}
}>}Actually, that's easy.  In a WELL wired house, neutral isn't tied to
}ground.

}>} If nothing was plugged in (or if nothing grounded the neutral line) you
}>}could plug a HOT line into a NEUTRAL line and not blow the fuse.

}>Not so.  If nothing was plugged in which grounded the neutral line,
}>you could plug hot into neutral without affecting any GFCI-- but the
}>breaker would trip immediately.  That's a textbook short circuit.

}Oh get a clue, will you?  IF NEUTRAL IS TRULY NEUTRAL, TYING HOT TO IT WILL
}TURN IT TO A HOT.  Circuit breakers and fuses blow when too much power goes
}through them... the only way that can happen is if it is GROUNDED.

What you are suggesting is the equivalent of connecting a wire between
the two prongs of a two-pronged outlet.  That's a textbook short
circuit.  BTW, the neutral wire is also referred to as "return", if
that helps.  If you really want to find out, go to the breaker box,
disconnect a circuit there.  Stand on something insulating.  Take the
neutral wire from that circuit and stick it in your mouth.
Take the hot wire from that circuit, and stick it in the other end,
and see if you get shocked.

}Nope, you're wrong.  I've rewired practically my whole darned house because
}the guys who built it had no clues.  In a CORRECTLY wired building, Black is
}HOT and white is NEUTRAL.  Go consult a wiring book at your local library if
}you don't believe me.  BTW:  If NEUTRAL IS TRULY NEUTRAL, it is ALWAYS
}"hanging loose".  Neutral is frequently grounded, however, and
that's what
}you're thinking of.

Remind me not to touch anything in your house, should I by any
misfortune (such as getting it at an auction after the last 6 owners
electrocuted themselves) end up owning it.  Why would anyone run a
wire that just hangs loose?

ObHack:  My finally retired hardware handshaking cable.   I had a
normal Mac<-> DB25 DCE cable, and a DB25<->DB25 ribbon extender
cable.  So I
popped off one of the DB25 connectors on the ribbon cable, re-arranged
the wires so DTR wasn't connected and CTS was, and so that DSR wasn't
connected and RTS was, and put the connector back on.  It still works,
about 5 years later.

Parent Parent gone gone

Back to index