serverless http connections

Article: 7413 of alt.hackers
From: wz40ft@elec.mid.gmeds.com (Paul Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: serverless http connections
Date: 18 Feb 1995 18:10:26 GMT

In article AzI@nova.sarnoff.com, Hans <hab3@cornell.edu> writes:

>ObHack: I have no external http server, so.....I stuck my home page in my
>finger!
>http://rsrch1.cit.cornell.edu:79/ hab3
>.....note there must be a space between "79/" and
"hab3"  (this is OS
>dependent)

This looked pretty cool until it didn't work for me.
When I put an html file in my $HOME/.plan (which I assume is where it should
go), and
pointed my browser at it, I simply got:
	Login name: GET		In real life: ???
displayed in the browser.  Looks like some GET command is being interpreted by
finger as the username to finger.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Also, I imagine the remote user wouldn't be able to traverse any links on your
homepage, since it seems this only gives access to $HOME/.plan...

However, none of that matters, since the following worked just fine...

ObHack: (seems to be more reliable)

If you don't have an httpd server running at your site and you want others
to be
able to browse some http web stuff you have, AND if ftp is installed (most
often is),
put the http files and graphics in your public ftp file area on your system.
Then
give someone a URL such as:
	ftp://your.machine.name.or.ip.address/pub/whereever/your_homepage.html

Since the end file is html, it just pops up in your browser like it was
born there.
Works like a charm, and is pretty transparent to the user at the remote site.
So
far, we haven't noticed any performance penalty vs regular httpd connections.

I do assume, though, that you won't be able to do any server-specific
stuff such
as forms, searchable indexes, etc.  K sera' sera' (sorry to slaughter that).

---
|  \ \ \____  /  Paul Smith,   Elect. Analysis | For every action there |
|   \ \ \/ / /	GM Truck Engineering,  Troy MI | is an equal and	|
|    \ \/ / /	     wz40ft@ttp.natp.gmeds.com | opposite satisfaction	|
       \/_/

Child Child Child Child

Back to index